Jobs and commission opportunities at the Harris
Join us in welcoming over 1000 visitors a day, as we continue the legacy of Edmund Robert Harris
Jobs at the Harris Museum, Art Gallery & Library will be advertised both on the Preston City Council website and below. There are many different areas to work in at the Harris. Job areas include catering, visitor services, marketing, museum & art gallery specialisms, library services, fundraising and events to name a few!
Artist Call Out – Summer Family Fun Days 2021
Deadline for applications:
Thursday 22 July by 9am please
The brief: The Harris is offering 2 x opportunities for local creatives
We are looking for 1 x storyteller and 1 x artist/illustrator to run some drop-in activities for families at 2 Summer Family Fun Days.
The theme for both these linked events is What Does Family Mean to You?
Event dates & locations:
- Saturday 14 August (12pm to 3pm) at Avenham Play Park and Pavilion Café
- Saturday 4 September (12pm to 3pm) in the Harris Museum, Art Gallery & Library
- The Harris is hoping to do some consultation with local families and children on our plans for a new Family Library. We would like to explore artworks representing families in the Harris collections. And think about what we might collect in the future to represent family life today.
- Your drop-in workshops will provide a creative focus for families to enjoy on both days.
Harris staff and volunteers will chat informally to participants to carry out consultation before/after your activities.
- The question we would like to explore with families is: What Does Family Mean to You?
- This question might be explored through storytelling, art or craft activities, the production of a collaborative artwork, or an illustration of shared discussions.
- One of the key issues we want to explore is the diversity of family life – and how all families are different.
- This is also a chance to reflect on the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on family life over the last year.
What we’re looking for:
- You will be a creative thinker who has experience of working with the public on community art projects.
- We want to actively support and collaborate with artists and communities from diverse backgrounds, so our programme is representative of the widest range of people.
- Both the storyteller and artist should have experience of working with families and children aged (approx.) from toddlers to 12 years. (You don’t need to be CRB checked – as Harris staff will be present during the activities.)
- You will need to attend both days, from 12 to 3pm, plus set up/packing away time.
- The activity you deliver at each event should be complimentary – but different; so that families at Avenham Park are encouraged to attend the 2nd event at the Harris.
- The Harris can provide volunteers to support any planned activity.
- You should plan how the sessions can be delivered safely in post-Covid environment.
We can also provide basic materials for group work, e.g. children’s scissors, glue, paint, paper etc. And we will set up trestle tables/chairs/sanitiser, as required.
Fee & delivery:
- The fee is £250 for each opportunity. This will include planning and preparation, and delivery of both workshops on 14 August and 4 September. To confirm, we are looking for 2 creatives. Each creative will need to deliver 2 x sessions on 14 August and 4 September (both 12-3pm). In total each creative will get a fee of £250 each. To cover both workshops.
- We pay artists based on rates advised by the Artists’ Union England and Arts Council England.
Send a brief outline of your relevant experience (no more than 2 pages) of your relevant experience and your ideas for the workshop activities to:
Harris Admin firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note the deadline is Thursday 22 July by 9am.
We’ll let you know if successful early the next week.
Please state in application that you are applying for Summer Family Fun Days and which opportunity. There are two opportunities. Either Summer Family Fun Days Artist Opportunity or Summer Family Fun Days Storyteller Opportunity.
You’ll also find details of commission opportunities below.
The commission opportunities below have expired, however, we will promote any further opportunities on our website and social media as they arise.