Work with us!
Harris Commission opportunities released every Monday at 12:00pm
Preston City Council and the Harris recognise that the current epidemic and resulting control measures are having a crippling effect on the country’s cultural sector. In order to support the sector through this time the Harris has developed a number opportunities aimed at supporting the city’s cultural sector through this difficult time.
We’re looking for 15- 20 minute video talks on topics linked to Preston and/or the Harris.
Value: £250 x 10 opportunities.
Ideally, talks will be on a topic that:
- Links to our collections
- A style of art or a craft technique that features in our collections
- An artist with work in our collections
- Items in our history collections
- Links to Preston’s history
- A geographical area in Preston
- A community in Preston
- A historic event in Preston/A historic event that affected people in Preston
- An artform/cultural activity that is alive and well in Preston or holds cultural significance e.g:
- It is special to a particular community in Preston
- It is a heritage tradition
- A topic that you think is culturally important right now that affects people in Preston.
Please note that there will be a separate video commission opportunity that looks at individual artists and their practice.
Your talk can be suitable for any (or a mixture of) the following age groups:
- 12 – 16 years
- 16 years and over
We want to make sure that your video looks and sounds its best, so please make sure that you follow our guidance when filming. You can also use a variety of tools and techniques to enhance your talk.
- Include images or presentation slides.
- Include film footage: you could film on location (if it is safe to do so) or create interesting short clips to illustrate your talk.
- Film a conversation with a friend or colleague.
- Use sounds or music. Please make sure that you have permission to do this – we will ask for the name of the track/artist and proof of permission.
If needed, we will be able to support you with:
- General filming advice and feedback throughout the process
- Images/videos of the Harris and of items in the collections
To give you an idea of what we are looking for, please take a look at this example Fashion on the Ration video which looks at wartime fashions: https://youtu.be/CkotBSJ5vBw
What will happen to the video?
- The finished video will be hosted on the Harris website, the Harris YouTube channel and the Harris Facebook page.
- We will agree a Facebook Premiere date with you where you should be available to answer questions posted by viewers in the comments section for 20 minutes.
We will pay you a fee of £250. You must have a bank account and be able to provide a UTR (Unique Tax Reference) number.
How to apply
Applications should be no longer than 750 words and need to include:
- Short outline of the talk
- Theme of the talk – how the story links with the suggested topics
- Target age group
- Examples of previous work, e.g. videos, links to your website, links to your social media, a relevant CV (if you have one) etc.
You can send a written application OR send us a short video (10 mins max).
Please submit applications to email@example.com, by no later than 12:00 noon Wednesday 15 July.
Please include Preston Talks commission in the subject link of the email. We will let you know whether you have been successful by 5pm on Wednesday 22 July.
We particularly encourage applications from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic artists as these groups are currently underrepresented in our commissions. We also encourage applications from disabled artists and will make reasonable adjustments as required.
Click titles below to view more details on previous commission opportunities.